Money Saving DIY Oatmeal Packets
The Intentional Mom Planning System is where you need to start with our incredible collection of product options. It will help you establish the basics for your life & home so you’ll finally have a plan, save yourself time, and go to bed feeling like you accomplished something every day (because you did). Save up to 60% HERE!
*Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for partnering with us on this recipe
It is no secret that breakfast is an important meal. There really is nothing like starting the day with a healthy meal and a full tummy. Oatmeal is an amazing option, and it is also one that my kids love. Do you love the convenience of prepackaged oatmeal but hate the price tag?
Feeding a family of 10 for just $350 a month isn’t easy, but it is something I do every month. Convenience foods certainly are convenient, but they come with a hefty price take that would blow my grocery budget for sure.
Looking for other frugal meal options? Download our five favorite money saving recipes by clicking below.
Classic Family Meals
Enter your email address to get these amazing recipes in printable form!
I am SO excited to share my recipe and method for convenient, single serve oatmeal packets because it brings together the best of both worlds.
This method takes only a few minutes to get ready on the front end, but the payoff is huge in more ways that one.
I can get about 50 oatmeal packets done in about 15 minutes max and for WAY less money than you would spend on 50 prepackaged oatmeal packets.
Check out my money saving DIY oatmeal packets!
(this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you)
For this recipe you will need:
- Snack bags (yes, we reuse them)
- Permanent marker
- Quick cooking oats
- Confectioners sugar
- Brown sugar
- Dried fruit (we LOVE Bob’s Red Mill Dried Blueberries as pictured. You can find them HERE)
I am making both a fruit oatmeal option and a brown sugar and cinnamon oatmeal option in this post.
Set up an assembly line
Gather all of the above ingredients on your kitchen counter or table complete with measuring cups and spoons.
Put them in this order:
- measuring cups and spoons
- your various flavor ingredients grouped together
Here’s how it all comes together:
- Label your bag with the oatmeal variety (for our purposes it is blueberry or brown sugar)
- Fill each bag with 1/2 cup oatmeal
- Then, fill half of the bags with 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar and then a small spoonful of blueberries (about 6 or so in each packet) and a pinch of salt (yes, kids can do this!)
- Fill the other half of the bags with 2 Tablespoons,1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt
I keep all of these inside a gallon size storage bag with the instructions for preparing the oatmeal.
Those instructions are as follows:
- Pour oats into bowl
- Add 1 cup water and stir
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds
Are you looking for a money saving breakfast idea? These DIY oatmeal packets will be your new family favorite!