So often, with such a busy life, taking the time to get creative with some family fun can require too much effort. The interesting thing about family fun, is that it really is easy, and it doesn’t have to be greatly time-consuming or cost a fortune. There are plenty of fall activities that your family including kids of all ages can have fun with.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, be sure to grab our free Thanksgiving printable keepsake. Record the things your kids have to say. Just enter your email below to have it delivered right to your inbox!
In our family, we love getting out to enjoy the crisp days of fall. With kids from 17 down to just a few months, we’ve found activities that we can all enjoy together.
Check out these fun family activities you can enjoy this fall – and they’re free!
(this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you)
Living in the North, I know that fall really is the last call for enjoying several of the things that I love doing with my family most. Things like going for walks or bike rides, star gazing, and even heading to an outdoor farm would all qualify here. While being covered under a blanket of white snow brings family fun of a new kind, many of the things I love most are no longer possible.
If you are from the South, fall can bring weather that finally allows you to spend more time outside since temperatures have finally moved on from the sweltering heat.
In both cases, there are still times that having family fun outside isn’t possible, which is why I have also provided plenty of ideas for having some indoor fun as well.
Here are 50 simple and FREE ways that you can have some family fun today! With options that are geared toward a variety of ages, there is something for everyone!
- Star gaze. Star gazing on cool, crisp evenings is the best!
- Find shapes in the clouds on a beautiful afternoon
- Finger paint, even the big kids!
- Head to a nearby animal farm
- Go for a walk or bike ride while the weather still allows
- Color together, that means you, too
- Walk though an apple orchard
- Have a family game night once a week
- Read their book of choice – a classic
- Make some apple crisp!
- Look at old pictures together
- Watch their favorite movie or show together
- Play an active game together like Simon Says
- Make a fort out of sheets and blankets
- Sing campfire songs together, even with no campfire
- Write a story together, with illustrations
- Host a movie night for your kids and their friends
- Play in the leaves
- Have your own dance party
- Have a scavenger hunt in the neighborhood
- Drive around to look at the fall colors
- Take a picnic on a warm day
- Make some pumpkin paper crafts. Search for some ideas on Pinterest
- Visit a local pet store
- Make some homemade hot chocolate to enjoy after dinner
- Make homemade playdough, and then play with it
- Have a pumpkin carving night
- Fly paper airplanes together
- Tell some age appropriate scary stories with candles at night
- Visit the library every week
- Play hide and seek in the dark
- Make homemade popcorn and then eat it
- Make a craft together
- Do some end of the season yard work
- Have a puppet show
- Trace your handprints and then use them to make something memorable
- Have a pillow fight
- Create a leaf collection
- Create a picture collage to put in a frame
- Do some physical training…push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks etc.
- Make a fall bouquet with things you find outside
- Have a family sleepover – parents, too!
- Hold a family karaoke night
- Complete a larger puzzle
- Make a treat to bring to the fire station
- Go on a tour of the fire station
- Collect a few toys to donate
- Write a thank you note to Dad
- Start making some creative Christmas decorations
- Plan your next family vacation – no matter how far in the future
See? Family fun doesn’t have to be labor intensive, and it can be completely free when you use things that are all around you. As this Living Well & Spending Zero Challenge has continued to show me, life is all about what you make of it – fun included!