Finally have this recipe updated with the pictures for you. This truly is a family favorite, especially with the black bean salsa.
This recipe was originally from my sister. I tweaked it a bit to feed a larger group and also to tone down the spiciness a bit since I have some kids who can’t handle any spice whatsoever. In my house, we could eat Mexican food every night and people would love it. It would be fine with me, too.
You will need:
- 10-12 10 inch tacos
- 1 large or 2 medium sized chicken breast, cooked and shredded. I usually boil mine. Then shred it using your mixer while it is still warm, quick and easy tip!
- 1 can refried beans, or you can make your own using the Frugal Black Beans recipe, much more frugal!
- 8 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 16 oz. container of sour cream
- 1 to 2 jars of taco sauce (I use one bottle before baking and more for serving)
- lettuce (optional)
- tomato (optional)
- black olive (optional)
- green onions (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once you have cooked and shredded your chicken, combine it with the soup and sour cream. Spread a bit of the refried beans on the inside of each tortilla. Next, add a bit of the soup/chicken mixture inside each tortilla, followed by some cheese to your liking, and place in a 9×13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Continue filling tortillas as above until your pan is full. Pour a jar of sauce over tortillas, and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or so until lightly bubbling around the edges. Serve with toppings. We also like tortilla chips with it. I have shown it with and without the black bean salsa topping.