Yep, it’s Friday. That means it’s time to think about improving our health and our spirits all at the same time.
This week we are going to do some basic leg strengthening exercises woven into a brisk walk. Exercising these muscles in new and different ways build different muscles. Our bodies are amazingly smart in that they get accustomed to what we do rather quickly, therefore limiting the amount of benefit we get. Of course if you have any medical concerns this should be avoided, and if at any point you feel dizzy or completely unable to catch your breath you should stop and seek the advice of your doctor.
- begin with a brisk 5 minute walk
- for the next 5 minutes, alternate side shuffling and skipping in 1 minute intervals. *I find I feel less subconscious about this workout if I just go back and forth in front of my house rather than going around the neighborhood doing this*
- follow that up with a brisk walk at a level of 5 or 6 for 5 mins
- for the next 5 minutes, alternate lunges every 30 seconds with a slower job. This would mean that you would do a rotation of lunges and jogging for a total of 5 rounds. This should leave you feeling at a level 7
- follow with a slow jog for 5 minutes. This should bring you back down to a level 5
- finally, a 5 minutescool down walk
Getting some good exercise doesn’t need to be complicated, and it can even be kind of fun.