Switched on Schoolhouse is created by Alpha Omega, which is a huge name in homeschooling. This program starts in the third grade, and it continues through high school.
This program is so easy to use, and it has been a true blessing in our homeschool life. I haven’t found anything about the program that I don’t love!
(this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you)
What I love about it:
- It is a CD Rom program, which means it requires less teaching, but more importantly less grading for me. The only grading you end up with are projects and anything that gets kicked back to you because the program didn’t recognize the student’s answer. Also, if the student skips problems those will be kept for you to reassign
- It is Christian based
- It is so easy for kids to navigate. I have yet to have kids who can’t figure it out
- You have control over how you want it to work including setting your school calendar and school days, what tools the student has avaialbe to them and when (calculator etc.), how many tries they get to answer correctly, and so much more
- You have the power to change any of the above at any time
- You can go back in and reassign or regrade anything
- It is very complete. As my kids have taken various standardized tests, they say that the bulk of what they needed to know on the test was covered in SOS
- They have amazing customer support. I have called them numerous times, and they take the time to walk me through things every time
- It can be used with multiple students
The way we use it in our house
- I like to ease kids into it, so we use this Bible program only in both 3rd and 4th grade. You can read more about the Bible curriculum below:
In fifth grade, we add in Math and Language Arts into the mix, so they have Bible, Math, and LA beginning in 5th grade. You can find all of those resources below:
We continue with just these three main subjects throughout 6th grade:
I’m not sure where next year will take us yet since we only focus on one year at a time, but I know SOS will be a part of it!