Summer is such a wonderful time of year, but it can get BORING for everyone especially by the time mid-summer rolls around. The lazy days of summer are fading, however, and spending time with your family is so important before the hustle and bustle of the school year gets started again.
Before you send your kids off on another busy school year, schedule some of these FREE family activities that are good for all ages.
(this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you)
Some of these take little to no planning at all!
- star gaze
- find shapes in the clouds
- finger paint, even the big kids!
- gather the neighborhood kids for some outdoor games
- go for a walk or bike ride
- color together, that means you, too
- have a lemonade stand
- have a family game night once a week
- read their book of choice – a classic
- make root beer floats
- look at old pictures together
- watch their favorite movie or show together
- play an active game together like Simon Says
- make a fort out of sheets and blankets
- sing songs together
- write a story together, with illustrations
- host a movie night for your kids and their friends
- play in the rain
- put on some music and have your own dance party
- have a scavenger hunt in the neighborhood
- have a campfire with s’mores
- go on a picnic
- have a water balloon fight
- fly a kite
- go to a playground
- make homemade playdough, and then play with it
- have a foot race
- fly paper airplanes together
- play chinese jumprope
- visit the library every week and do some reading
- play hide and seek in the dark
- make homemade popcorn and then eat it
- make a craft together
- do some yard work and make it fun
- have a puppet show
- first, trace your handprints and then use them to make something memorable
- have a pillow fight
- have a water gun fight
- create a picture collage and put it in a frame
- do some physical training…push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks etc.
- plant some flowers
- sleep out in a tent in the backyard
- wash the car
- pick some fresh flowers from along the road
- make a treat to bring to the fire station
- go on a tour of the fire station
- collect a few toys to donate
- write a thank you note to Dad
- chase fireflies
- run through the sprinkler
Don’t let the summer pass you by without having some good old fashioned fun together as a family. Even if life is busy, take some time to have some fun and make memories together that will last all winter long!
FREE Cleaning Cheat Sheet!
Just fill in your email address to get your cleaning party started!