I have had several people email me asking me to share more about cleaning in our family. First of all, make sure you have read The 10 Commandments of Cleaning With a Family, Let’s Get Cleaning, and 10 Ways to Make Cleaning Fun With Your Kids for additional ideas and realistic expectations!
Here is how we do it in our home!
(this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you)
Our biggest cleaning day happens on Saturdays, which means primarily dusting and vacuuming day since things like bathrooms, washing floors, and cleaning the kitchen all get done at other times during the week. I love multi-tasking these things into the rest of the week. I wish I were able to have the whole house clean at one time, but with a large homeschooling family, there is just never a day that there is enough time to get it all done. However, since Saturday is the day that we tend to have the most time, this is the day we get the biggest jobs done.
These are the details of how it works for us.
We alternate several jobs by week: the first and third Saturdays have specific jobs, and the second and fourth Saturdays have specific jobs.
1. My four oldest (ages 8-14) are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. This means:
- dusting, vacuuming, cleaning closets, cleaning under and behind bed, cleaning storage bins, and organizing drawers
- my 8 year old can’t vacuum yet, our vacuum is really big and heavy, but someone else does it for her
- someone is also in charge of vacuuming the hallway where the bedrooms are
2. We have four groups of 6 steps in the house, and each kid is responsible for vacuuming a set
3. One kid dusts the living room, one kid dusts the school room or what would be considered a den
4. One kid gets a disinfecting wipe and wipes down all light switches, one kid uses a wipe and wipes down door knobs, one kid gets a wipe and wipes down handrails
5. I take responsibility for vacuuming the main floor, of course my own room, washing the kitchen floor (which gets done several time a week with the amount of traffic we get), and vacuuming the basement living room
6. Two kids clean the car, which means taking care of the trash and bringing things inside that belong inside. They also repack our “away bag” that gets kept in the car with things for the littles to be entertained with as well as a diaper bag if this applies.
7. One kid is in charge of cleaning the front closet where we keep all the extra shoes, coats, and outerwear
8. Someone is in charge of cleaning up out in the garage where we keep shoes and coats
9. We all work together on just general clean up and reorganizing. It is kind of like a well oiled machine – at least most times!
It is nice to have one day that the bulk of our cleaning gets done, which means that the majority of the house is clean, although it is usually only for a moment or two.
We love getting these things done as early as possible since Saturday nights are often a game night or a movie night for everyone.
Do you have a specific cleaning day? What day of the week is it in your home?