Caramel corn is a favorite sweet treat in my home, is it in yours, too? And, what’s better than being able to make it in the microwave? Not much in my book.
I will caution you to not make this on a hot, sticky, steamy sort of day, unless you like your caramel corn extra chewy since on these days it never really “cools” all the way.
For this recipe you will need:
- 8 cups air popped popcorn
- cooking spray
- 1 unused paper grocery sac from a supermarket
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- stick butter or magazine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
First, pop your popcorn. Then, spray the inside of the grocery sac with the cooking spray and add the popcorn to the bag.
- Add the baking soda to the caramel mixture, it will foam.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn in bag, roll top of bag down, and shake well.
- Microwave the bag as is for 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake well in all directions to distribute caramel sauce.
- Microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and repeat shaking procedure.
- Microwave for 1/2 minute. Remove from microwave and repeat shaking.
- Remove from microwave and repeat shaking procedure one last time.
- Pour caramel corn on two baking sheets and spread out to cool for at least 30 minutes.